Thursday, July 3, 2014

But I Being Poor Have Only My Dreams, Sample Soap Box, Fun Is Dead

Me during my early 20's
I had several dreams last night that galvanized me this morning. I had one dream where I was on tour with some big deal band but while they took a tour bus we had to follow them around in our shitty van. Which to me was way more fun and I almost felt sorry for the guys on the bus. As much as I would love to sleep and read while some other guy does all the driving I felt a great sense of determination from that dream. I'm pretty sure it stemmed from my subconscious reacting to my conscious knowledge of Wreck and Reference's last show with Deafheaven that I saw posted yesterday. If I reached that level of success where I could cart around my band in support of a band people actually liked I would probably be totally satisfied with my ambitions. As any long time readers of this blog may know, (as if you exist,) I have always had a curiosity about oneirology: the study of dreams. I don't put any faith in believing that dreams have any sort of realistic pull on our lives, but I do believe that they can be our brains attempt to find answers for itself. And the simple fact that I hopped out of bed and immediately started working on music means they do have some impact on us in our everyday lives. I have made huge life changing decisions after having a stirring or compelling dream. Usually those changes dealt with being with someone who made me puke blood because of the rage they would make me choke on day in and day out. But I am confident those character building experiences are far behind me now. As I said though, it was great to jump out of bed and immediately feel encouraged to grab my bass and start working on shit.

I wanna use this sample.
As I have mentioned on the RUINED FACEBOOK PAGE I am currently working on a lot of new material for a full length. Right now I have about 5 songs complete in very shitty shitty demo quality versions which is about 35 minutes worth of material. The song I was working on this morning I decided to throw a sample into for fun. And this is a subject I have thought a lot about over the years. For some reason, I love when bands use samples in their music. I can't really explain why, other than to me it gives a unique texture and predication to their music that I personally enjoy. But of course I think a lot of bands over do this. On THE SPLIT I DID WITH PALM HANDS I used a lot of samples. That split was more about having fun with an old friend than it was about making a great piece of music. So I didn't over think what samples I wanted to use or whether I wanted to use them at all. But in a lot of ways, samples can be really shitty and stupid. A lot of bands are too lazy to come up with something creative that they just say "Fuck it, have a sample of Johnny McShit-Hat saying some hard-ass shit. That'll get that fucking pit opened." I don't really have a point to any of this, it's just something I think about when I am between masochistic fantasies.

"Something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. 
Desensitized to everything. What became of subtlety?"

No fun not ever. 
Otherwise I have been watching The Simpsons, listening to Tool and getting back in touch with my roots. I know everyone talks about how much better everything "used" to be back in "their day." But the 90's were so much cooler than the last decade and a half. 9/11 really fucked everything up. Everyone got more scared and everything became sterile, watered down and fucking boring. The music was better, the movies and television were better and everyone seemed to be living louder than nowadays. Everyone talks about how morality is going out the door but I am absolutely convinced that these bleach white convivial automatons who strangle anything poignant or vivacious have a monopoly on our entertainment in this country. I am not even suggesting that they are the ones producing this bile or even flipping the switches to illuminate our receivers. But thanks to the never ending breeding of shallow minded and fearful fiends that we call our youth and the pompous piety of our owners, this bland anemic mucilage we call modern entertainment is what we are left with. Turn on any radio or network television to see the current state of the necrosis in the American stimuli. George Carlin once said, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that." And people wonder why I have no hope left. But it's not all bad, I still get to lock myself away from the mutations growing and congealing in the perspicuous pockets of our wealthy and elite communities.I must bar the doors at every turn for they keep coming for me and my kin through wires and speakers. Be weird, make people uncomfortable as often as you can while simultaneously interacting as little as possible with as few people as possible. Then again I hate everyone and everything and should not be giving any advice to anyone for any reason. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. What the fuck does that mean? Who knows. Stay gloomy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment